Take the Pledge
The first command given by God to humanity was to be good stewards of His creation, to image or reflect how He would rule (Gen. 1:28). The mountains of plastic trash in God’s oceans is an affront to his glory and a failure of our stewardship. Each journey of repentance begins with a single step. Jesus taught, “Whoever is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much” (Lk 16:10).
Therefore, I pledge to:
- Decline straws and disposable plastics at restaurants
- Avoid single-use plastics like drinking straws, cutlery, bottled water
- Consider going deeper, such as:
- Asking local restaurants to only provide disposable plastics like straws when customers request them.
- Asking elected officials and the local and state levels to phase out single-use plastic more generally.